Skip to main content
Cheshire Live

Appeal lodged after plans for 160 houses and 70-bed care home rejected

Councillors voted against the development

The application site is off Crewe Road, Sandbach(Image: Google)

Wain Estates has appealed against Cheshire East’s refusal to grant permission for 160 homes and a 70-bed care home in Sandbach. The council’s planning officers recommended earlier this year that councillors approve the controversial proposal, which also included a countryside park and community building, planned for green gap land off Crewe Road.


But the strategic planning board refused the outline application at its meeting on October 29, with Knutsford councillor Stewart Gardiner (Con) arguing they wouldn’t accept any application just because the council doesn’t have a five-year housing land supply. Now the applicant has appealed, and a public inquiry will be held at a date yet to be agreed.


Sandbach councillor Laura Crane (Lab), who spoke against the application at the October meeting, has notified residents of the appeal on her Facebook page. She told the Local Democracy Reporting Service today she would be commenting on the appeal later this week and sharing further information as and when she receives it.


The strategic planning board refused the application in October on the grounds the proposed development would lead to the loss of best and most versatile agricultural land and would create an inappropriate means of access due to the proximity of the nearby school.

Councillors also said it would have an adverse impact on the sustainability of the ancient woodland, and the proposed country park would have an urbanising impact on the existing countryside gap and local wildlife. They said these factors, taken cumulatively, will significantly and demonstrably outweigh the benefits of providing housing, including the contribution to affordable housing.

Article continues below

Cllr Gardiner told the October meeting: “I think therefore we could potentially win an appeal if we were brave enough to refuse this application today.” Comments on the appeal must be received by January 21, 2026 at the latest and can be made on the planning portal at acp.planninginspectorate.gov.uk quoting the appeal reference APP/R0660/W/25/3376597.

Sign up for CheshireLive email direct to your inbox here

Cheshire Live Icon
ENJOYED THIS STORY?
Choose Cheshire Live as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.
Follow Cheshire Live:



reach logo

At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.