Skip to main content
Cheshire Live

Crewe car plant workers 'stunned' as Bentley set to axe 275 jobs

"These cuts have come out of the blue"

CREWE, ENGLAND - NOVEMBER 07:  A general view outside Bentley Motors Ltd headquarters factory on November 07, 2020 in Crewe, Cheshire, England. (Photo by Nathan Stirk/Getty Images)

Bentley's Crewe factory(Image: Nathan Stirk, Getty Images)

Workers at the Bentley factory in Crewe have been left "stunned" after the luxury carmaker announced that up to 275 jobs are at risk. Bentley made the announcement earlier today as it reported a seventh straight year of profitability.


Despite this, the iconic carmarker could cut up to 275 roles "as part of its ongoing focus on long-term competitiveness and operational efficiency". The move will affect management, agency and non-manufacturing employees.


A union boss says workers at Bentley's headquarters on Pyms Lane in Crewe are "stunned" by the news. Bentley says the proposed cuts come as "the business prepares for its next phase of electrification and future product launches".


Bentley CEO and chairman, Dr Frank-Steffen Walliser, said: "We are investing at unprecedented levels in the Pyms Lane site, including the Design Centre, opened in July last year, the near completion of the A1 building for BEV production, and the upcoming opening of the new Paint Shop later this year.

"At the same time, we are making some difficult decisions to ensure the long-term competitiveness of the business, including an organisational adjustment potentially impacting approximately 275 positions. I want to express my sincere appreciation to those affected - we are committed to supporting each individual with care, guidance and assistance throughout this transition.


"These actions, alongside our investments and Beyond100+ strategy, ensure Bentley remains financially resilient, strategically focused and well-positioned for the next generation of luxury vehicles."

Karen Lewis, GMB Organiser, said: "These cuts have come out of the blue and the workforce is stunned. Trump's tariff's have hit Bentley hard and the company is still feeling the affects of the Covid lockdown. GMB will stand side by side with members in Bentley to ensure the minimum redundancies and the maximum pay outs."

Bentley reiterated its long-term commitment to UK manufacturing in the announcement, confirming that work continues on the transformation of the carbon-neutral Pyms Lane factory and the infrastructure required for BEV production. Progress remains ongoing on the conversion of the site’s oldest building, A1, which will become the future BEV assembly line.

Article continues below

Sign up for CheshireLive email direct to your inbox here

Cheshire Live Icon
ENJOYED THIS STORY?
Choose Cheshire Live as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.
Follow Cheshire Live:



reach logo

At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.