A man has died following an incident on the M6. And motorists are being warned the southbound stretch remains shut between Junction 26 and 25.
It comes after emergency services, including the air ambulance, had been sent to the scene at around 10.15am this morning. During the height of the incident and traffic had been stopped in both directions.
Now a closure remains on the southbound side as Greater Manchester Police remain at the scene. A spokesperson for the force said: "A scene will remain in place whilst enquiries are ongoing."
Further updates - courtesy of Manchester Evening News - will appear in the dedicated blog below.
Key Events
All lanes open
After hours of closure, the police incident has concluded and all lanes have now been opened.
Delays of up to ten minutes.
All lanes are NOW OPEN on the #M6 southbound from J26 (#M58) to J25 (#Ashton).
— National Highways: North-West (@HighwaysNWEST) October 29, 2025
The earlier due to a Police led incident has now been cleared.
Approx. 10 minute delays remain on the approach. pic.twitter.com/8S2eBDWq3h
Live look at traffic
Long queues remain on the M6 this late afternoon as we approach rush hour.
This is what it's like on junction 26 of the motorway.

Six miles of traffic and long delays remain
In an update regarding the incident, National Highways North West says that there is currently six miles of traffic on approach to junction 26 and there are delays of up to 60 minutes.
#M6 southbound remains closed from J26 (#M58) to J25 (#Ashton) due to a Police led incident.
— National Highways: North-West (@HighwaysNWEST) October 29, 2025
All traffic caught within the closure has been released.
There's 6 miles congestion on approach to J26. 60 min delays above normal journey times.
Diversion:- https://t.co/deSpYoJZ5J pic.twitter.com/jt2yuHNhE0
Severe delays reported
Despite traffic being released, there are still reports of 'severe delays' on the motorway.
A diversion route along the M58 and East Lancs is in place.
Traffic monitoring tool, Inrix, says: "Diversion - via the hollow square symbol along the M58 westbound towards J3 (Bickerstaffe), down the A570 Rainford By-Pass into St Helens and along the A580 East Lancashire Road through Haydock."
Long queues up to the closure
Motorway cameras show long queues up to the M6 closure.

Trapped traffic being released
Traffic trapped within the closure is now being released.
The motorway remains shut though.
There are five-mile queues and a 45-minute delay.
The #M6 southbound remains closed between J26 (#M58) and J25 (#Ashton) due to a Police led incident.
— National Highways: North-West (@HighwaysNWEST) October 29, 2025
Traffic caught within the closure is now being released in lane 4 past the scene.
There are 5 miles congestion on approach with 45 min delays above normal journey time. pic.twitter.com/JpIdC6bUUV
Closure remains in place from J26 to J25
The closure remains in place this afternoon on the southbound carriageway of the M6.
There are long delays up to the area, where traffic is then being diverted off the motorway.
'No estimation' as to when motorway will reopen
National Highways have said that due to the nature of the incident, they cannot yet say when it might reopen.
A full closure is in place on the southbound carriageway.
Investigation work ongoing on the scene
Specialist officers are continuing to investigate on the scene on the M6.
The southbound side remains shut from J26 to J25.
BREAKING: Man dies after police called over concern for welfare on M6
A GMP spokesperson said:
"Around 10.15am this morning we were called to a concern for welfare report on the M6 between junctions 25 and 26.
"Sadly a man was pronounced dead at the scene.
"A scene will remain in place whilst enquiries are ongoing."
Diversion route on the southbound carriageway
Road users are advised to follow the hollow square diversion symbol on road signs:
• Leave M6 SB at Jct 26.
• At M6 Jct 26/M58 Rbts, take first exit off first Rbt and continue to second Rbt. At second Rbt, take second exit onto M58 WB and follow for 9.5 km.
• Leave M58 at Jct 3 WB.
• At M58 Jct 3/A570 Rbt, take first exit onto A570 SB and follow for 8.8 km. IN
• At A570/A580 (Windle Island) Jct, turn left onto A580 EB and follow for 9.2 km.
• At A580/M6 Jct 23 turn left onto gyratory and take fourth exit to rejoin M6 SB.
Statement from National Highways
National Highways said:
"The M6 in Greater Manchester is closed southbound between J26 (M58) and J25 near Ashton due to a Police led incident.
"Emergency services including Greater Manchester Police are in attendance. National Highways Traffic Officers are also on scene.
"Due to the nature of the incident there is currently no estimation for when the road will be reopen."
Map shows where the closure is in place on the motorway
The closure on the motorway is close to the Wigan exits.

All traffic stopped on southbound carriageway
The southbound side of the M6 is shut from J25 to J26.
Emergency services are on the scene.
Traffic on the #M6 northbound between J25 (#Ashton) and J26 (#M58) has been released past the scene.
— National Highways: North-West (@HighwaysNWEST) October 29, 2025
The southbound carriageway is now closed for a Police led incident. Emergency services continue to work at scene.
Please allow extra journey time. pic.twitter.com/IlVhiXoEC1













