Skip to main content
Cheshire Live

Police offer reassurance after Ellesmere Port school put on 'partial lockdown'

Rumours on social media suggested there was a man with a knife on school grounds

Ellesmere Port Catholic High School

Ellesmere Port Catholic High School(Image: TRINITY MIRROR COPYRIGHT)

Officers are reassuring parents and pupils that there was no armed man involved in an incident at a school in Ellesmere Port - despite social media speculation to the contrary.


Ellesmere Port Catholic High School was temporarily put on 'partial lockdown' this morning (June 21) after a window was smashed.


A text was sent out to parents to inform them of the lockdown, stating there was 'no cause for concern.'


Ellesmere Port high school placed in special measures

Rumours being spread on social media suggested there was an armed man on the ground of the school, however Cheshire Police have confirmed that there was no knife involved and the window was smashed in a corridor.

A spokesperson for Cheshire police said: "At 10.38 officers were called to reports of concerns for safety at Ellesmere Port Catholic High School on Capenhurst Lane. "Officers attended and found that a window had been smashed. The exact cause of the damage is currently unknown."


Inspector Paul Fegan said: “We are aware of a number of rumours circulating in relation to this incident, and we would like to reassure the community that there is not believed to be a risk to pupils or teachers.

“The window that was smashed was in a corridor, which was unoccupied at the time of the incident, and nobody sustained any injuries.”


Anyone with any information in relation to the damage is asked to contact Cheshire police on 101, quoting IML 433974.

To receive one WhatsApp message a day with the main headlines from CheshireLive, as well as breaking news alerts, text NEWS to 07500 881875. Then add the number to your phone contacts book as 'CheshireLive'.

Your phone number won't be shared with other members of the group .

Article continues below
Teenager, 15, remains in police custody after stabbing in ChesterGang who flooded streets of Ellesmere Port with crack cocaine jailed for 20 years
Cheshire Live Icon
ENJOYED THIS STORY?
Choose Cheshire Live as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.
Follow Cheshire Live:


reach logo

At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.