Oops.

Our website is temporarily unavailable in your location.

We are working hard to get it back online.

PRIVACY
News

Public inquiry hears 'loss of life' risk claims over 160-home site

A 70-bed care home is also proposed

The application site for 160 homes and a 70-bed care home off Crewe Road in Sandbach (From Planning Docs)

A Sandbach site earmarked for housing is at high risk of subsidence and if there was a collapse it could result in a loss of life, a public inquiry was told. Adrian Melling, a fellow of the Geological Society, was speaking at Tuesday's appeal by Wain Estates against Cheshire East Council’s refusal to allow 160 homes and a 70-bed care home on land in the green gap off Crewe Road.

The application, which also includes a countryside park and community building, had been recommended for approval by Cheshire East planning officers last year. But the council’s strategic planning board refused it in October on the grounds it would result in the loss of best and most versatile agricultural land; the site entrance is close to a primary school; the impact on the ancient woodland; and the urbanising impact of the countryside park.

Cheshire East did not oppose the appeal. But Sandbach Town Council and local residents did fight it.

Mr Melling, a geologist with 37 years’ experience, was speaking on behalf of residents. He told the inquiry at Middlewich yesterday (Tuesday) that a report on the subsidence risk concluded the majority of the site is at high risk of subsidence and a small strip of the land was at low risk.

He referred to sinkholes in the area, in particular one which, he said, has appeared after the construction of the Abbey Road development. Regarding the appeal site, Mr Melling said: “My view on subsidence, is the whole site is high risk. But it’s not just a high risk of simple subsidence, it’s high risk of subsidence with a very high consequence. Slope failure and collapse… of any construction down the slope presents a very high risk of complete structural failure, including a risk to human safety and even potential loss of life.”

Sandbach town councillor Tim Wheatcroft spoke about the green gap concerns. “The green gaps are not simply vacant land awaiting development,” he said. “They perform essential planning functions, which, in the case of the appeal site, include the following – maintain landscape separation; preserve views and rural transition; protect the setting of heritage assets; provide ecological connectivity across the Cheshire plain. They contribute to drainage and climate resilience.”

The public inquiry for the Wain Estates appeal for the Sandbach development off Crewe Road (Belinda Ryan, LDRS)

A previous application for up to 200 homes on part of the site was refused by Cheshire East in 2015 – a decision which was upheld by an inspector at appeal. Susan Gabrielsen, a retired member of the Rural Town Planning Institute, told Tuesday’s hearing: “The decision to move housing further north achieves no more countryside separation than the rejected scheme 10 years ago.

“This land is subject to acknowledged subsidence issues, whilst the park area to the south has generated what CPRE (Council for the Preservation of Rural England) term an area used for sport and entertainment rather than as a wildlife reserve.” The inquiry also heard residents’ concerns about highways, particularly with regard to pedestrians and cyclist during school drop-off and pick up times, and fears the development could destroy part of the ancient woodland.